Present Scenario and Strengths:
- 80% of global IT companies have based their India operations and R&D centers in Bangalore.
- Bangalore is the 4th largest technology cluster in the world after Silicon Valley, Boston, and London.
- Bangalore has the highest number of R&D centers in India.
- Presence of 47 IT/ITeS SEZs in Karnataka; 3 software technology parks with 2,160 units, dedicated IT Investment Regions.
Karnataka: The Knowledge State
Karnataka is the leading IT hub of the country with Bangalore as the 4th largest technological cluster in the world after Silicon Valley, Boston and London.
- With a third of India’s software technology park units, the state is the country’s largest software technology hub.
- 2100 IT companies constitute over 20% of the IT companies in the country India’s largest software exporter.
- 50% of the world’s SEI CMM Level 5 certified companies located in Bangalore Presence of almost all leading IT companies of the world, including Infosys, Wipro, Tata Consultancy Services, Oracle, Dell, IBM, Microsoft, Accenture, Cognizant, etc.
Bangalore: The Science Capital
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc)
- Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR)
- National Centre for Biological Sciences (NCBS)
- Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO)
- Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIMB)
- National Law School of India University (NLSIU)
- National Institute of Advanced Studies (NIAS)
- Raman Research Centre (RRC)
IT Scenario in Karnataka
- 15.5 Billion USD IT exports in the year 08-09
- 825 Million USD exports from Hardware sector in the year 2008-09
- IT companies – 2084 as on year ending 2008-09
- Hardware companies – 76 as on year ending 2008-09
- BPO / ITES companies – 270 as on year ending 2008-09
- Biotech industries – 187 as on year ending 2008-09
BPO units in rural areas with fiscal incentives from Government
- Non-recurring financial support Capital investment subsidy up to Rs.20 lakhs per 100 seater BPO unit. Financial support of Rs.10,000/- per employee towards manpower training.
- Recurring financial support Financial support of Rs.5000/- per employee as subsidy to meet costs of building rentals and internet connectivity.
Focus Sub-sectors for Global Investors Meet 2012:
- Project Proposition: Information Technology Investment Region
- Project Location: Bangalore International Airport
- Investment Potential: INR 90,000 Crores
- Project Proposition: IT Parks
- Project Location: Several locations
- Investment Potential: INR 50 Crores