Present Scenario and Strengths:
- Karnataka is is the sole producer of felsites and the leading producer of iron ore, chromite, and dunite.
- Karnataka is the main gold producing state in the country, contributing 99% to India’s total gold production.
- Karnataka is extremely resource rich and hosts country’s 78% vanadium ore, 74% iron ore (magnetite), 42% tungsten ore, 38% asbestos, 33% titaniferous magnetite, 30% limestone, 25% granite, 22% manganese ore, 19% corundum, 18% dunite, 13% kyanite and 11% iron ore (hematite) resources.
- Steel zones proposed in Bellary, Koppal, Raichur, Bagalkot, Haveri and Gadag districts.
- Cement Industrial zones proposed in Gulbarga, Bagalkot, Chitradurga, and Belgaum districts.
- It is also amongst the few states to have a Dedicated Mineral Policy.
Focus Sub-sectors for Global Investors Meet 2012:
- Project Proposition: Gems and Jewellery Park
- Project Location: To be provided on request
- Investment Potential: INR 1,000 Crores