Respected dignitaries on the dais, Delegates participating in this Pravasi Bharatiya Divas 2009, who have come from all over the world, Ladies and Gentlemen, Members of the Press,
It gives me immense pleasure to extend greetings and best wishes to every one present here. On behalf of people of Karnataka, I would like to place on record our sincere thanks to the organisers for having given me this opportunity to share a few thoughts with you all.
2. In Karnataka, there is a change in the political leadership under Dr. B.S. Yediyurappa who has taken over as Chief Minister of the first BJP Government in South India. With change in the political leadership, there is visible change in the ideology approach and commitment of the new government towards the dream of achieving all-round development of Karnataka State. I appreciate your gracious presence during this presentation.
3. Karnataka has been the Land of Opportunities and has been in the forefront of development during the first two decades after Independence. The State has its strength in availability of abundant natural resources and quality human resource including skilled manpower, along with a chain of quality educational institutions like the Indian Institute of Management, Indian Institute of Science, National Aeronautical Laboratory, Indian Space Research Organisation, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research and public sector undertakings
- 2 -
like Bharat Heavy Electrical Ltd., Bharat Electronics Ltd., Bharat Earth Movers Ltd., NGEF, Indian Telephone Industries and many other institutions of international repute. Karnataka also has a chain of quality technical and professional educational institutions which have made our
state a “Destination” for students, not only from our country even from abroad. The State enjoys cerebral climate and has good Rail, Road and Air connectivity.
4. The new government has believed in “Development” as the main Mantra for reaching out fruits of globalisation, to the rural masses. With all these new policy initiatives we have identified corridors for sectoral specific growth. Accordingly the following areas have been identified:
1. Bidar : Bangalore via Chitradurga
2. Tumkur: Honnavar via Shimoga
3. Chitradurga: Mangalore via Shimoga-Udupi
4. Bangalore : Belgaum via Davangere – Hubli
5. The new industrial policy of the state envisages tremendous investment potential in the areas of quality Infrastructure and Power Sector, IT and BT, Education, Real Estate, Automobile Sector, and in the areas of agriculture and its allied products.
6. The new Government aims on your involvement in the overall growth of Karnataka thereby taking a new initiative in establishing “Non Resident Indian Forum of Karnataka”. I have been appointed as the first “Deputy Chairman” of the Forum and have been assigned this responsibility with the cabinet rank. ( Contd…3
7. This NRI forum has been established with the following objectives.
1. Promote interest of NRI in general, and those from Karnataka who are particularly settled in abroad.
2. Creation of a Database of “Non Resident Indians of Karnataka origin”.
3. Enumerating organisations of Non resident Indians and do the “need survey” so as to form an action plan to address their problems.
4. Creation of an informative and interactive Website.
5. To develop linkages with various cultural and literary organisations of people of Karnataka and assist them in their activities.
6. To assist Non-Resident Indians in their investment initiatives in Karnataka.
7. To promote technology transfer, research and investment in establishing technical and educational institutions.
8. In other areas of importance concerning Non Resident Indians.
With the above objectives, Non Resident Indian Forum will be a single referral point to expedite the redressal of the problems and suggestions pertaining to Non Resident Indians. It is our belief that we should improve the efficiency of delivery system to your level of expectation as you all have been experiencing all these years in various countries where you are residing. With these words, I extend warm welcome to you all to come, explore and experience Karnataka.
8. Karnataka has a great potential in the areas of tourism, healthcare services, quality professional education, infrastructure development, IT and BT sector, research and scientific pursuits. We assure that this government will be “Investor Friendly” government; with best service at in fulfilling your needs.