Highlights of the visit of the delegation headed by Capt. Ganesh Karnik to USA and Sweden, Between 7th Oct to 17th Oct 2009
At Chicago :
• A delegation led by Capt Ganesh Karnik, Deputy Chairman, NRI Forum, Karnataka visited Chicago, USA and participated in the Global PAN IIT 2009 from October 9-11, 2009.
• PAN IIT Conference is an annual meet of IIT alumni and the focus of this year’s event was “creation of jobs”. The theme of the conference is “Entrepreneurship and Innovation in a Global Economy”.
• More than 2000 delegates participated in the event.
• The Conference brought together a highly accomplished group of industry stalwarts, academic leaders, entrepreneurs and public policy makers.
• On 10th October, Capt. Ganesh Karnik along with Smt Purandeshwari, Hon’ble Minister of state, Human resources, GOI were in the panel in the panel discussion on “ Policy initiatives to create opportunities and Job” at PAN IIT event.
• Capt Ganesh Karnik in his remarks highlighted the initiatives taken by Government of Karnataka in creation of jobs and skill up gradation of youth. He also stressed on the policy initiatives of Government of Karnataka to encourage industries and investments in infrastructure which would create a significant number of jobs.
• He invited the participants to take part in Global investors meet scheduled on 11th and 12th jan, 2009 at Bangalore .
• Capt Ganesh Karnik explained about the grim situation in the state because of floods and appealed the gathering to support the GOK in relief operations.
• In the later part of the day, Mr.Bill Clinton, the former President of USA addressed the PAN IIT. He spoke about “Innovation” and about philanthropic activities taken up by Clinton foundation in India and across the World.
• The delegation met the head of Boeing India Operations and invited him to invest in the State. The delegation also met a group of Scholars from Harward University who put forth a proposal of Integrated Township in Bangalore.
• The delegation also met the Kannada Koota of Chicago on 11th October. Capt Ganesh Karnik highlighted about the growth and developments taking place in the state and impressed them to invest in the state. He welcomed the NRKs to participate in the Global investors meet.
• The activities of NRI Forum Karnataka were highlighted and it was assured to them that President of AKKA would be included in the NRI Forum so that Kannadigas in America will be actively engaged in happenings in Karnataka.
• Capt Ganesh Karnik also explained about the damage caused by floods in Karnataka and requested for generous contribution for reconstruction and rehabilitation. Mr Amaranath Gowda and Mr Shivamurty Keelara of AKKA agreed to sponsor construction the houses for them who has lost their houses in floods through AKKA. It was learnt that Mr.Ben Chikkaswamy who lives at Baltimore has taken a big drive to collect funds and materials for the relief operation in flood affected areas.
At New Jersey:
• Earlier Capt Ganesh Karnik also attended a meeting arranged by the local Kannada Koota and friends of Edison, NJ on Oct 7th evening at New Jersey (NJ). They discussed various issues such as strengthening ties between NRIs, NRKs and Karnataka and bringing FDI investment into Karnataka.
• Capt. Karnik met the Dean of Hofstra University Mr. Bernard Firestone, Provost and Senior VP for Academic Affairs Mr. Heerman Berliner and their team in New York. During this discussion various options including setting up a branch of Hofstra University in Karnataka were discussed.
• The delegation also met the Indian Ambassador to USA Smt Meera Shankar and Consul General of Chicago Mr Ashok Kumar Attri and discussed various issues. Capt. Ganesh Karnik appealed to Indian gathering at a meeting in Consulate to generously contribute to flood relief. The delegation appraised about Global investors meet and sought the cooperation of the consulate to impress upon investors to take part in Global investors Meet.
At Stockholm, Sweden:
• The delegation called on HE Balakrishna Shetty, The Indian ambassador to Sweden on 14th October and discussed about Global investors Meet and NRI forum.
• His Excellency was impressed by the initiatives taken by Government of Karnataka in various fields and expressed his desire to participate in GIM along with a business delegation from Sweden.
• The delegation visited the Aerospace major M/S Saab Industries headquarters in Stockholm. They were invited to take up expansions in Karnataka.
• The delegation visited IVL (Swedish Environmental Research Institute) and discussed about possible areas of cooperation in technology transfer in the field of environmental technologies. They were requested to participate in GIM so that they can meet top investors from India and across the globe.
• The delegation visited the waste water treatment plant and Biogas Generation plant at Stockholm on 15th October.
• The delegation also visited VINNOVA. It is a Swedish Government Agency for Innovation Systems promoting sustainable growth and creation of employment. It is engaged in R&D activities in various fields.
• The delegation interacted with “Invest in Sweden Agency”. Invest in Sweden Agency (ISA) is a government agency under the Ministry for Foreign Affairs. Since starting out in 1995 it has been offering specialist insight on doing business in Sweden to companies worldwide.
• The delegation visited M/s Atlas Copco headquartered at Stockholm. M/s Atlas Copco is a leader in manufacture of mining equipment, road construction equipment and air compressors. They were invited to invest in Karnataka.
• The delegation also met Swecare Foundation of Sweden. This is a Government sponsored organization who are into infection prevention and healthcare services. A delegation of Swecare Foundation will visit India in the month of February – 2010 and they were requested to visit Bangalore during the visit. They have agreed for the same.